80 – 90 Second Workout Finisher. P.E.T.S. WW#4 [Free workout In The Show Notes]
So you’re 40 minutes into your workout and you only have one exercise left, usually its a smaller body part maybe calves or biceps.
Mentally, your fried from the intense work at the beginning of the workout so you’re ready to call it a day and slam back a protein shake.
But you would be leaving TONS of gains and fat loss on the table if you just did your 3 sets 12 and called it a day.
Here’s a technique you can use at the end of your workout to squeeze out more from every gym session.
Its called post exhaustion training, in the 8% BF Blueprint we use PETS (Post Exhaustion Tension Sets) this is where that came from :).
What is PET?
Simple, a 90 second set where you’re focusing on maximal muscular contraction for the entire 90 seconds using light weight. We’re trying to get a lot of blood to the muscle get a massive pump, swell the cells and essentially feel the burn. In sciency terms this would be called metabolic stress.
Love the podcast? Leave a review in Itunes
The Key Characteristics
Post Exhaustion Tension Sets
- 90-120 seconds Constant tension
- Best with bodyweight moves, cables, machines and free weights
- Do this after heavy work, neurologically demanding work. This allows your to be fresh when you need it most, and chase the pump and blood volume after.
- Goal is cell swelling, hypertrophy, greater acute growth hormone response, muscle damage. Will this help fat loss yes. Will this help build more muscle yes in the long term.
- Build To The Hilt
- Muscle time under tension during resistance exercise stimulates differential muscle protein sub-fractional synthetic responses in men
- The 8% BF Blueprint Program
Workout #1 of the Program: ( skip to 22:45 to see some PETS sets )
SHARE THE PODCAST
Please share our Podcast with your family and friends. Share, Like and Comment on our posts on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter.
I would love to hear from you and what experts you would like to hear on The Lean Ripped and Healthy and the questions you want answered by our world class guests.
Leave your suggestions over on facebook!
Did you like the show? If you did, we would truly appreciate it if you can take 60 seconds to subscribe and give us a 5 star review on iTunes.
Favorites for PETS after your training ( 2 mins each, constant tension, focus on maximal contractions)
- Behind Neck Smith Machine Press
- Push Ups (pretty much every kind)
- Split squats (bodyweight)
- Shoulder press machine work (back supported and straight)
- Incline curls
- Pec Dec
- Lat Pull Downs
- Lying Leg Curls
- Leg Extensions
- Lateral raises